January is National #Mentoring Month
According to Mentor.org, “Mentoring provides meaningful connections that impact the people involved and influence their lives at home, at work, and in their communities.”
Here are some insights for success on both sides of the mentoring relationship:
What are some qualities of an effective mentor?
- They have been in “places” that you hope to be and have had experiences that you’d like to experience
- They have the willingness to listen, ask questions, and share themselves
- They encourage you to challenge yourself in healthy ways to achieve what you want in your career and take time to understand how you work to leverage your strengths
- They allow you to make mistakes along the way and address those mistakes as they happen, with constructive feedback
- They show interest in your growth, not only as an employee, but as a person as a whole
If you are being mentored, what qualities make for a successful experience?
- Share your goals
- Be open to learning new things
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions and voice concerns
- Be aware of how your strengths and weaknesses may affect the way you learn
- Be willing to be vulnerable, open to new ideas, and intrigued by questions
Over time, a successful mentorship relationship can become a partnership where both people continue to challenge and learn from each other.
Thank you to Jamie, Joy, Ari, Craig, Jordan, and Mary Beth for sharing their insights!